Alyssa, Hunter, Anthony, & Jayson

Alyssa, Hunter, Anthony, & Jayson

Friday, July 23, 2010

Second Snag in the Move

I'm writing these back to back today as there is simply too much to go into one post. Especially since I began my last post 3 days ago and was unable to finish it until this morning. So, events of this post began on Tuesday...

I have to say that I must have died and ended up on Wisteria Lane. I LOVE my new neighbors as they are such a breath of fresh air from Nancy. I doubt I will be having to clean up their dog crap from my front lawn for sure. My next door neighbor showed up to introduce himself, and offer usage of his painting supplies before he left for a camping trip. He and his wife have 5 kids and they are home schooled. I have yet to meet his wife, but he and their children seem very nice. A few hours later,  my neighbor who lives across the street came by, and due to her red hair and homemade cookies, I will refer to her as "Bree." Yes, she brought us homemade cookies topped with very delicious homemade buttercream icing. She introduced herself, and invited us to a neighborhood bbq this weekend for everyone to meet each other and let the kids play. I thought to myself, this is really cool. I already feel that I will be very sad when the time comes for us to part ways with Fort Lewis.

The following day brought another neighbor who lives on the other side of us. They were very nice, and from what he told us about his job status at the moment, I have a sneaking suspicion that he is the person we've been waiting for to come take David's spot in the G-3 shop so he can be released to go down to his new job. He and his wife were very nice, and they offered help with anything we should need during our move. All in all, I already see us being very happy and at home in this neighborhood that resembles the Walgreens commercial where everything is perfect...complete with tree lined streets.

So, fast forward to Thursday morning, and Dave received a phone call from the transportation office. He had left a message on Tuesday afternoon for a transportation agent to call him to see if there was any way to expedite our move. This is one of those things that I wish they would have told him Tuesday morning instead of telling him to wait until next Monday. You see, the Army no longer contracts movers to do local moves. Local moves are all "do it yourself" with reimbursement from the Army. Wow, you think that they could have told him that Tuesday so that we could already be moved in. The one silver lining to this is that they will pay us very well for our blood,sweat and tears we shall shed in this fiasco. So now, moving the essentials which would allow us to functionally live in this house which would require the work of Dave, Jay and I, has now turned into a full scale moving operation requiring the work of many with much more lifting ability than Jay and myself.

I cancelled the trailer, and reserved the largest truck Uhaul has (26ft), and then called my parents to ask them to drive down to help. Of course, asking friends to help is not something you do at last minute, so the move has now been put off until Wednesday, and so begins the process of procuring boxes, and packing up my house. I feel the need to just sit and cry, and wallow in self pity, but I know that doing that will not change the situation. I shall make the best of it, and be happy to be out of this house, and into a wonderful neighborhood in a house that I wont have to pray that we will not have an earthquake in for fear that it will collapse. Trust that this will not be the end of this story, I'm sure there will be much more to add as we go along. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment